Monday, June 16, 2003

I’m just wild about Harry…

… and I am clearly not alone. As of this moment Amazon has taken 680,791 advance orders for "The Order of the Phoenix".

I just called three local Borders bookstores to try to reserve a second copy of the Harry Potter book for a friend.

All three stores told me that they could not guarantee me a copy on Friday night at midnight. They would only give me a guarantee for Monday morning.

This sounded crazy to me and I asked why the stores would not have ordered enough books to make it through the weekend. The clerk explained to me that they had been ‘short shipped’ meaning that the stores received fewer copies of the book than were ordered.

I find it amazing that Scholastic has printed 8 Million copies of this book and still has to short ship. At the least it puts the sales figures for the Hillary Clinton book into perspective.

Perhaps the publisher is trying to create an artificial shortage. However, I see no benefit in that for Scholastic. After three years of waiting there is so much pent-up demand for the next book that there is no doubt this will be the fastest selling book release in history. (If I am wrong, let me know)

The saddest part of this is the fact that I know I am going to get this book at midnight on Friday and then stay up all night reading it. Then at Noon on Saturday, I will start the long wait for book five!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home