Wednesday, June 04, 2003

I am an AMERICAN

I am feeling a bit ranty today – be prepared.

This is the first time that I have ever tried to write this rant. I say it to anyone who is foolish enough to be PC and tell me that every person who lives on the American continents is ‘American’.

The first place I remember getting mad about this was when I saw a list of participants in an international conference. The list of participants included the name of the participant and then their nationality.

Dozens of nationalities were listed – Canadian, Italian, Turkish, Columbian, US, Mexican, Spanish, Australian. One of these things just didn’t belong! Every other participant’s nationality was listed but mine was not – rather I just got some initials.

When I approached the organizer I was told that the reason that they did not list my nationality as ‘American’ was because it was unfair to the participants who are from all other nations in the Americas. He then heard this response…

I am not from the US – that could just as easily mean the United States of Mexico. Prior to the mid-1970s it could also have meant the United States of Brazil.

I am not from ‘the states’. What states would those be - The Federated States of Micronesia?

Why is it that those who are from the United States of Mexico are Mexican but those who are from the United States of America are not American?

I am a citizen of the United States of AMERICA. That means that I am an American. I live in the only country in the world that has the world AMERICA in its official name. You can look that one up right here.

If somebody from Paraguay really wants to say that they are American then they should consider petitioning their government for a change of then name of the nation.

For those who choose to identify with a geographical location rather than a nation – North American or South American are the correct terms and they neatly differentiate from those who are American.

I understand why there are those who want to identify as an American even if they are not… after all we are the coolest nation in the world. Unfortunately, just because you are not American doesn’t mean that I can’t call myself American.

For my fellow Americans who are reading this – I hope that you now go out into the world and proudly state that you are an AMERICAN! Fight back against those who are trying to steal our nationality!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home