Tuesday, December 09, 2003

I shouldn't be suprised

One of my new favorite blogs is Blackfive. Through him I have found my newest reason to deeply dislike a Democrat.

Dennis Kucinich is running for the Democratic presidential nomination. I always kind of viewed him as a harmless kook (he has sponsored legislation to outlaw space based mind control weapons) but a recent addition to his campaign website has gone over the edge.

It is a campaign ad that, in my view, goes way beyond the definition of tasteless.

You can see the ad Here, on the Kucinich web site.

I am horrified to see that Kucinich is using the names, ages, ranks and units of the military men and women who have dies in order to further his personal political goals. Just to be clear this is a man who wants the job of 'Commander in Chief' but he is treating the men and women who would be serving under his command as pawns.

I cannot imagine how horrible it would be to have lost a loved one and then to be confronted with the use of his name and details on a television screen. The details being used to support a position that my loved one may or may not support. Regardless - fallen heroes cannot tell us what their political positions are - that is why politicians should NEVER use the names of individuals without the EXPRESS permission of their next of kin. I highly doubt that the Kucinich campaign has taken the time to get that permission from the family of every man and woman whose name was used in this commercial.

It is one thing for a candidate to speak out against the war, or to say that too many troops died. It is appalling that individual names are used somehow implying that these men and women somehow endorse Kucinich. These men and women choose to serve our country in an all-volunteer military, they trained, fought and died for us... they deserve more respect than this commercial affords them.

Their deaths have much more meaning than a cheap piece of animation that indicates that their deaths only purpose was to advance the economic interests of a few. Perhaps that is what Kucinich believes about the war as a whole but - there in NO WAY to say that about each individual soldiers death.

I am livid with anger at this ad. I can't even rant properly which is the true sign of my level of anger. Suffice it to say... Kucinich does not have my vote and I eagerly await the reaction to this commercial from the other Democratic candidates. If it is anything short of total repudiation then I will know exactly where I stand on them as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home