Friday, March 14, 2003


I never was a fan of Country Music.

I was born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago. Not an area known for ‘country’ influences (except for those terrible duck themed kitchens of the 80s). I thought that I would NEVER like Country – it wasn’t bad – it just wasn’t me.

Then 9/11 happened. It changed us all in so many ways. The smallest way it changed me was that I became a fan of country music. I just could not listen to the alternative/pop/rock music as I had before. Country music spoke to me.

Country songs are unabashedly patriotic – you would never hear an alternative star singing something like Toby Keith’s “Courtesy of the Red, White & Blue”. The first time I heard that song I cried – and every time since then I have turned the radio up and sang out loud. I needed a media outlet that was saying what I was feeling - I found that on the local country station.

When listening to all this great new (to me) music I fell in love with the music of the Dixie Chicks. I really enjoyed all of their songs and actually bought all 3 CDs (perhaps the only 3 CDs I have bought in the last 2 years). The song “Traveling Soldier” on the most recent album Home is sweet and patriotic and wonderful - I can’t get enough of it.

That is why I can not understand what the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks was thinking when she said that she was ‘ashamed’ of President Bush and the fact that he was from Texas! I can understand that she was in London and as Bill Hobbs (in a great post) states she was ‘giving the audience what they want’. Regardless, there are still limits.

On the Chicks website there is more detail about how they feel about the President and the possible war. I am glad that they posted this clarification of their position. With this information in mind I will not be purchasing the next CD they release and will not go to the concert this summer as I had planned.

This won’t matter to them. Just as it does not matter to most people who consume entertainment. I just view any purchase I make as a choice – I choose to only consume media made by those who don’t attack our president.

Over at The Greatest Jeneration there is information about actions being taken by others. Evidently these comments will be costing the Chicks some airplay. For those of you who claim that they have the right to free speech – I agree. However, actions have consequences - part of being a grown-up is understanding that. The consequence of her choosing to make that statement is the loss of some fans - ar at least the loss of this fan.

**UPDATE
Michelle (one of my blogging heroes) at A Small Victory has written a great piece about how we should not demand apologies from celebrities whith whom we disagree.

“The thing is, they have a right to do this, just as I have a right to make fun of them right here. What I don't have the right to do is demand an apology for them speaking their minds.
No matter how I feel about their politics, their views on war, their feelings for the president or the country, they own that right to have those views and they can spend all the time they want talking about them without having to say they are sorry.
Don't forget what makes this country great. We have the freedom to say whatever the hell we want, when we want and where we want - for the most part.”


I agree with her wholeheartedly. Read the whole thing - it is up to the usual level of greatness.

I think that it is foolish to ask for an apology when you know that any apology given will be false. Anything we hear from the Dixie Chicks now will be made at the point of an economic sword. Not unlike when I tell my nephew that If he does not apologize to his sister he will be denied desert. He says the right words – but they have no meaning.

Anyway – I am not going to apologize for what I say. Why should I ask that of anyone else?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home