Wednesday, May 14, 2003

Countdown

I know summer is on the way because I am becoming increasingly impatient when waiting for pop culture releases.

First up is The Matrix Reloaded opening on May 15. I can not wait and plan on seeing this tonight after watching my DVD of The Matrix a few times today to get myself psyched for the experience. Particularly in light of the Hong Kong cinema class that I took in this spring semester I am really ready for some hardcore kung/wire fu combined with thought provoking philosophy. The first Matrix was a great film and I pray that the sequel will live up to the high standards of the original.

The second thing that I am counting down to is the release of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. On the night of June 20 I plan on being at a bookstore to pick up my copy at exactly 12am on June 21. I don’t care how dorky it is for a grown woman to be lining up with 10 year olds for a book – I have done it for the last 2 books and in each case I finished the last page before sunrise that morning. If you have not read the Harry Potter books don’t deny yourself the pleasure just because they are ‘kids books’. The books are great, they have wonderful lessons to teach us while at the same time supplying readers with a rollicking adventure story.

One thing that links these two pieces of pop culture is that they both present a world in which there is an evil force that must be stopped to ensure the freedom of good people. In a post 9-11 world I can increasingly identify with the need to fight to protect our freedoms from evil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home