Wednesday, May 21, 2003

When interests collide

This afternoon I was wandering through The Leaky Cauldron to see what the latest news is on the Harry Potter front when I came across this entry. For a second I thought I might have strayed over to Little Green Footballs.
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Denounce your neighbor: The Saudi religious police have launched a Web site where Saudis can anonymously accuse their neighbors of violating religious laws, MEMRI.org reported this week. In one post, a man complained that a woman had bewitched him and sent a djinn (a type of genie) to plague him. The Authority for the Promotion of Virtues and Prevention of Vices responded to the post, advising the man to consult the Committee for the Struggle Against Witchcraft.
It is just bizarre to read that in the year 2003 there is a nation which actually has a ‘Committee for the Struggle Against Witchcraft’.

I never would have imagined my interests in Harry Potter and the mid-east would ever collide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home